Week 16 Prompt


Prompt 16

When I first started to read books, it was assigned reading for school. I wasn’t in no way an avid reader of books at a young age. I only read to get my points for the schools AR program, it was not until sixth grade that I started to read for pleasure. I think this came about because I found a genre that I was intrigued by, which is fantasy and sci-fi. When I first started reading, there were only hardcover or paperback books available.

When the switch came around 2000s with e-books, I was too young to buy one on my own and also my parents didn’t see the purpose in buying them. Reading only came in the form of physical copies, it would be a long time before I decided to try out e-books or audiobooks. Once I did I was already in college and finally gave into the accessibility of these new reading platforms.

            I honestly don’t see hard copy of books going out of fashion for a very long time, because readers still enjoy owning physical copies, but also see a major decrease in the amount of people buying physical copies. Although I do see a rise in audiobooks, especially the well or theatrically produced audiobooks. Where we get better quality and more famous people doing them. With the popularity of podcasts, I think the publishers would loss out greatly if they didn’t see how audio formats are growing.

            With e-books I think they will be just fine, they already have an advantage over physical copies because of the ability to carry around your whole library and access all your books from a small device. I do think e-books are used more by people that enjoy reading from hard copies, but these devices are making it easier to access. I have hard copies of books that I also have on my kindle and I only do that because I enjoy reading books at home and having the e-books for when I’m on the go.  


Comments

  1. Wow! It's crazy for me it was the opposite with AR. I didn't want to read because of AR...but you read because you had to! It definitely works in different ways. I agree with your thoughts about ebooks and audiobooks. Publishers should continue to put more product out and market it well. Thanks for sharing your story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in school we didn't have AR but we had to read so many book and do book reports for them. The problem with this was we could only pick one or two a year that weren't the classic and I really hate the classics when I was in middle school because I just didn't understand them. I do agree with you that print books aren't going to go away just maybe reduce the number of books printed. I do think ebooks are going to do fine between the bigger publisher and the self-published books. I do agree that people should be investing in the audiobook with how busy people are it is an easy way to read the latest book that you want to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just talking about e-books vs. print materials with a coworker today! Maybe it is because I was late to the game getting a Kindle (...try having the last name Kindle. Yikes.), and I mainly use mine for recipe books. I definitely prefer holding a book and many people I know say the same thing, including my coworker. But, having many books in one place is definitely an advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge eBook reader. It really changed how I read. The ease of accessibility is probably one of the biggest appeals for me. I also love the fact that I can have books without the clutter. My mom is a huge reader and a huge collector of things, so her house has books all over the place. I'm also a collector, but I have to limit myself. I'll only get books that fall into must-owns and get eBooks from the library that I know I'll probably only read once and buy eBooks that I'll probably want to revisit. Some books I have physical and digital copies of because they are coffee table type books (see my blog regarding the Friday the 13th nonfiction book.) The physical books are so large and awkward to read. Plus, I want to keep those in the best condition possible. I'm constantly going back to that book and the one on Nightmare on Elm Street to read bits and pieces. The eBook makes it so much easier for that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't really remember AR points in school. That could be because I was big reader anyway, but it wasn't familiar to me when I started working at the library. In the five years I've worked at the library I've heard about AR points a lot though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts