Book Club

Book Club Experience

The book club I observed is my older sister’s book club she and some of her friends do about every two to three months, depending on the length and available time they have. My sister, Keira, joined the book club about a year ago when her close high school friend invited her to join. She mainly reads romance novels in her free time, but has enjoyed reading outside of her preferred genre. Once I learned of this assignment, I ask my sister if a book club meeting was going to happen anytime soon. I was very lucky that they were meeting on the 9th of March, so just barely made it. The book club takes place at the founder of the book clubs home. Everyone pitches in and they bring desserts or finger foods. The host makes sure we all are supplied with either alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages. 

For this meeting the book club had just finished reading Middlesex, by Jeffrey Eugenides. I had never read this book and just quietly sat near my sister in hopes no one would ask me a question. I am somewhat sure my sister did not mention why I was there for that meeting, but I was reassured that I was not the only one that did not speak throughout the meeting. It seemed to me that the atmosphere of the book club was relaxed and there was not any pressure to join into the discussions. 

At the beginning of the book club the leader first starts the discussion off with how she felt about the book and then anyone could agree or not with their own explanation. 
From what I observed there was not any typical question and answering style, like for example a group therapy session would have. It was mostly them taking turns talking about certain parts of the book. I did notice that the talking was separated by a beginning, middle, and end discussion. That was as much of a structured discussion that was enforced in the book club. I personally believe it’s because most of them have been long-term friends and are just used to talking openly anyways, but this also made room for heated disagreements. 

My favorite was about how the main character was or wasn’t transgendered because of the arrangement of their genitalia, to put it lightly. This topic was very dividing and had most of them taking pretty strong sides. From what I remember of the character in question is that their genitals were hidden inside them and made it appear that they were female, so from the of point of view of book club members limited exposure to actual transgender people this discussion was less facts based to say the least. 

When it came to questions that were asked by the leader of the book club, most of them had to do with very specific details or situations the characters of the book made, there was not many open ended questions asked. I have never been a part of a book club, so I did not know how a book club should be run. After looking up some of the usual questions that book club meetings ask, I a little surprised to find so many open ended questions. In Teresa Preston’s article 40 Great Book Club Discussion Questions, most of the questions were open ended and helpful to get people in the club to start talking. For example here are some questions that I think would have been interesting to hear a response about, What other books did this remind you of, What do you think of the book’s title, How does it relate to the book’s contents, What other title might you choose, How original and unique was this book, are just a few questions that would have been interesting to hear. (Teresa Preston) 

As I mentioned before, some of the attendees did not participate, it could have been they didn’t finish the book, but because they all know each other they might have just wanted to come and visit. There were three main speakers at the book club who really guided the discussion and raised some questions about the book the most. Everyone seemed to be used to this and didn’t try to stir away from their topics they brought up. 

When it comes to what type of genres they usually use for a book club, they didn’t have anything they would not read. Although most of their books come from Oprah’s Book Club list, they didn’t really choose their own books unless someone was enthusiastic about reading a certain book. This was a great experience for me, I learned I really would like to be a part of a book club in the future. Preferably when I have more free time. 


Cited
Preston, Teresa. “40 Great Book Club Discussion Questions.” BOOK RIOT, 18 Dec. 2017, bookriot.com/2017/08/21/book-club-discussion-questions/.

Comments

  1. Hi!
    I think it's great that you enjoyed your book club experience. You mention that there were about three main people who brought up questions or topics. Did any of the others bring up any other topics or questions or was it mainly the three?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed reading your description of the discussion portions that sparked controversy and debate. I observed that as well. It's not easy for me to sit by and not express an opinion when a topic comes by that I have one on. Its are rare topic that fits that category. I was also an observer in the group, not a participant. It took everything I had not to chime in!

      Delete
  2. Excellent observations on your experience! I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! Full points!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts