Week Five Prompt

Week Five Prompt
Ebook romantic suspense

Look over the reviews - do you feel they are both reliable? How likely would you be to buy this book for your library?
I think they are both reliable depending on someone’s opinion on seasonal romance novels. It seems like the 1st reviewer loves these types of books and most elements about it are what they look for in a romance novel. The 2nd reviewer seems like it was just by chance that they read this book, so their review reflected more criticism than the first.
I would purchase it for my library, there are plenty of people that enjoy holiday reads and are looking for a quick easy read over the Christmas holiday.

Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt

How do these reviews make you feel about the possibility of adding Angela's Ashes to your collection?
The reviews are good and I would add the book to my collection. From the reviews it seems like a book that is intriguing and also devastatingly sad. The reviews creates a great picture to what the story is about.

Book Reviews

Do you think it's fair that one type of book is reviewed to death and other types of books get little to no coverage?
I don’t think the amounts of reviews books get is about fairness, it is more about what publishing company is pushing for a book to be reviewed by certain people and how much interest there is behind the work. Unfortunately some quality books are going to be missed.

How does this affect a library's collection? 
I think there wouldn’t be a lot of diversity between libraries when we are only using reviews to add books to collections. If one book get tons of positive reviews, than every library will purchase that book. On the other hand if just one negative review is left on a new novel and that the only review, than it will never be given a chance.

And how do you feel about review sources that won't print negative content? Do you think that's appropriate?
Yes, I think it’s appropriate for the reason I listed above. Some people just give bad reviews because they don’t like the author, or the subject matter, and so on. A bad review is only a bad review for that one person and might not reflect how you would react to the book if you read it yourself.

If not, how do you feel about reviews for personal reading, and what are some of your favorite review sources?

With personal reading I usually just read a summary of the book. I’ve never been too big on finding reviews about the book. If I do look up reviews I go to amazon’s comment section of a book to see what people’s reactions to it are. I actually chose a book because it had so many negative reactions about the dynamic of the two lead characters and now I consider that series one of my favorites.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts