Reading Profile

I have not always enjoyed reading. As a child learning how to read, it proved more difficult and frustrating than anything. I was always the kid who couldn't get through a single paragraph without stuttering and frequent pauses. It was with great patience, from both my teachers and parents, I started overcoming this obstacle. 

When I choose to read, I usually pick books that are fantastical and take me into different universes where the law of the land is completely different from my own. Fantasy or Science Fiction have been the staples of my bookcase since I could read. The first book I could not put down was Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier, from the Sevenwater trilogy. From then fantasy has been my favorite genre. I am currently reading Stalking Darkness by Lynn Flewelling an Who Fears Death by Nnedi Okorafor. When there is a deeply human elements and struggle accompanied with intergalactic battles or Orcs and human warring, that's when I think this genre really shines.

My tastes in books isn't only fantasy and sci-fi. I am have fun reading paranormal books, like The Hunt for the Skinwalker and the Vamipire Chonicles by Anne Rice.  Historical fiction is another genre I read frequently, this became apparent when I had a good year of only reading Greek plays and modern retelling of  famous Greek plays. Some of my favorites

1. Medea by Euripides (A hugely controversial play of its time about a female demigod's revenge on her husband)
2. Bacchae by Euripides
3. Agamemnon by Aeschylus (Have you seen the movie Troy and every wondered what happened after Agamemnon defeated Troy, well he gets whats coming to him.)
4. The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller

 I would love to get more into thrillers and mystery novels. I feel like I would love this genre, but never know where to begin. I've read the Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice a few times. Book series that have amazing world building are some of my favorites.

My Absolute Favorites
1. The Sevenwater Trilogy by Juliet Marillier
2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
3. Symphony of Ages Series by Elizabeth Haydon
4. The Silent Empire by Steven Harper
5. Empire of the Sun by J.G. Ballard
6. Whoever Fights Monsters by Robert Ressler
7. The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
8. Dawn by Octavia E. Butler

Comments

  1. I see we have some books in common. I also enjoyed Empire of the Sun and love Le Guin and Butler!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got into Butler so late it feels, but her books are classics.

      Delete
  2. I love the choices you picked! I am currently reading "Daughter of the Forest" and did have to put it down for a while to read a few other books for this course, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it and exploring the rest of the trilogy!

    I also have a hard time with thrillers, but I've found that ones where I'm invested more in the character are enjoyable. I LOVED "Gone Girl" and "Room" (although perhaps the second is a suspense, I'm not actually sure). I'm reading "The Girl on the Train" for week 3 and like it so far! One of these might work for you, but if not, I hope you can find something within the genre that you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful profile! You have some eclectic reading tastes which is great, I haven't read a Greek play since high school (which I clearly need to change)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, Daughter of the Forest and the Sevenwaters series are some of my favorite books! I will admit I actually haven't read Flame of Sevenwaters yet. I'm bad about finishing series anyway, and then I just don't want these books to be done. Maybe if I do a reread of allll of them, I'll be okay... I adore every one of Juliet Marillier's books I've read, but I haven't gotten to the Bridei Chronicles or Blackthorn & Grim--have you??

    I think you hit the nail on the head as to when fantasy and science fiction work best! People sometimes give me looks when I begin to tell them about some fantasy novels, as if they're wondering why I'd be so invested in a story that's so clearly not real, and I'm trying to bash into their heads: THE CHARACTERS, THOUGH.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Masada, I loved hearing your early struggles with reading and then seeing your current wide range of tastes. You included a lot of titles I have not read and inspire me to go back and read some of my favorites from college....like the Greek plays. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts